If you are making improvements to your home with concrete or hardscapes, then you are adding enduring value to your property. Beautiful concrete walkways, strong retaining wall and gorgeous concrete paver patios, as an extension of your home, leave a lasting impression, But it needs planning, as well as hard work during installation.
Hardscaping projects can be daunting, so you may need a little help from professional contractors for amazing results and to get many years of enjoyment out of them. Don’t let outdoor construction work stump you, get the invaluable experience of professional contractors who have the required knowledge, products, equipment and techniques to make your yard the envy of the town.
Tips For Choosing The Right Concrete Contractor
Just like you would with any other long lasting decision, carefully consider and choose the right professional concrete contractor to ensure a smooth and stress-free experience from start to finish. Davis Concrete understands the anxiety involved in executing hardscape projects, so here are few poiuters on how to choose the best contractor to suit your needs.
- First you need to decide on the type of professional contractors needed to get your job done, so that you can match the skill set with the scope of work you have to get done.
- Remember that landscape architects can provide structural and aesthetic plans for your exterior hardscaping, water and drainage and garden design too. Landscape designers on the other hand specialize in garden planning and the horticultural part of the yard. Professional contractors are the ones to implement the best laid plans of an architect. A contractor may also provide design services. Depending on your vision, your yard work may involve any or all of these professionals.
- Research before you hire. Pick a reliable contractor with proven history and work portfolio. Find a contractor who has several years of experience and it will give you the peace of mind that the job will be done well. Do ask potential contractors if they do the work themselves or subcontract the job out to others. Check that your contractor has proper licensing and insurance. An updated license ensures that the contractor fulfils Department of Labor’s requirements for proper filling and continuing education. Having proof of insurance, general liability, work comp, and auto coverage safeguards you from job site accidents on your property.
- Look up the quality of work done by the contractor. Any reputable contractor will provide reference lists, and have photos & reviews on their websites. You can also check out past jobsites in person to check out details like color, stamp pattern, etc. Looking at different types of work done by the contractor may prove to you whether they are capable of handling your project and it also may give you a few ideas for your own yard.
- In the hardscape industries, the distinction between the quality of work done by contractors is down to the difference in materials used and the prep work that goes into the job. The contractor should give you specifications about the specific types of materials and reinforcement to be used, along with time frames to complete the work done. You may be given the specs along with the estimate, while other companies will provide a separate spec sheet with details of how your project will be constructed.
- When you have done due research, checked up on references, and compared estimates, you may still find that there are more than one contractor that fits your needs. So take a decision on who to trust with your project based on how comfortable you are in dealing with the contractor. They should be easy to get in touch with and be responsive to your calls or emails. Their staff should be professional, knowledgeable and polite.
It may take a little effort to thoroughly review your options when it comes to choosing contractors for hardscaping, but it can save you big headaches down the road. A little due diligence will be worth it in the long run. Concrete projects are built to last, so hire a capable contractor who is capable of delivering you with a high quality finished product.